Tuesdays 5:45-9:45pm, February 12-April 23
Plus 2 Saturday Mornings (February 16, March 2), 8:30am-Noon
Sunday, April 7, 8:30am-1pm
Ananda Portland Temple and Teaching Center
4855 Southwest Watson Avenue
- Classes Meditation Yoga
$595 — Select below to pay for course
is our flagship course, consisting of fourteen 4-hour sessions in which we explore and experience the heart of how life works and why. Beginning with the history of yoga and the yogic view of what is happening on the planet right now, through a thorough understanding and experience of meditation, yoga postures, energization exercises, breathing exercises, diet, health and well-being, stress reduction...a seemingly endless amount of insight and meaning. Classes are based on the following schedule: 5:45-730pm - Energization Exercises, Yoga Postures, Pranayam, Meditation 7:30-8pm - Shared Vegetarian Meal (prepared by different students each time) 8-9:45pm - Applied Philosophy and Seva Offered twice yearly.
See a schedule of dates and times of the classes for Spring Session here.
How can you find lasting happiness? Remain calm in the face of challenges? Maintain physical and emotional well-being? The science of yoga is ancient, proven, and universally true. The art of applying these principles to daily life is challenging, endlessly inspiring and the purpose behind our existence. You will learn how to apply the ancient principles of "Raja" (royal) yoga to every aspect of your life: physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. The course is filled with tools to help you deal with real-life situations in a way that reflects your highest self. The first two techniques in the system of Kriya Yoga, as taught by Paramhansa Yogananda, will be taught and explored in depth: Hong-Sau, an ancient technique of concentration, and Energization, a technique for increasing conscious awareness and control of divine life force.
Topics from the Text:
- The History of Yoga and the Cycles of Time Explore the origins of yoga. Where did it come from? What was its original purpose? Why has it lasted so long?
- The Paths of Yoga There are several different types of yoga suited to different temperaments and activities. Discover how to incorporate each one into your daily life.
- Patanjali’s Ashtanga Yoga Learn the steps of spiritual development that everyone must take on the path to enlightenment, including right action, concentration, and absorption in the infinite Self.
- Yama Explore the meaning of self-control. How can we use it to achieve our highest potential?
- Niyama Develop a deeper understanding of qualities such as contentment and self-study. Learn how to integrate them into your lifestyle.
- Life is a Battlefield Learn about the law of duality, and how to take advantage of it. Develop inner peace in the midst of life’s chaos.
Affirmations How do affirmations work? Practice techniques to help you break down subconscious blocks and achieve your goals.
- Energy and Energization In order to achieve anything we must have energy. Practice controlling the flow of energy in your body.“The greater the will, the greater the flow of energy” —Paramhansa Yogananda
- Magnetism Magnetism is a little-understood, but very important key to success. Discuss the benefits of magnetism and learn how to increase your own.“The greater the flow of energy, the greater the magnetism” —Paramhansa Yogananda
- Guru Explore the guru-disciple relationship. What is a guru? Do you need one? What does it mean to be a disciple?
- The Anatomy of Yoga Your deepest nature is immortal and infinite. What is keeping you from realizing this? Learn the ancient techniques that yogis use to break down the barriers keeping them separated from their highest Self.
- Autobiography of a Yogi
- Art and Science of Raja Yoga
- Essence of Self-Realization
- Scientific Healing Affirmations
- The New Path