- Fall 2017—Sept 5th–Nov 14th (10 Tuesdays + 3 Saturdays, plus one Sunday)
- Fall 2017—a week-long intensive at Ananda Center at Laurelwood
- Spring 2018—TBA (10 Tuesdays + 3 Saturdays, plus one Sunday, Apr 9th)
About this course:
The Art and Science of Raja Yoga is Ananda Portland’s flagship course, filling fourteen 4-hour sessions exploring and experiencing the heart of yoga.
Beginning with the history of yoga and the yogic view of what is happening on the planet right now, through a thorough understanding and experience of:
- yoga postures
- energization exercises
- breathing exercises
- health and well-being
- psychology of happiness and success
- stress reduction…a seemingly endless amount of insight and meaning.
Prerequisites for Raja Yoga: Learn How to Meditate (Med 1) with Ananda. Questions: Please contact us.
Typical Tuesday Evening Schedule:
7:30–8pm Dinner—shared vegetarian meal and company
8–9:30pm Applied philosophy
Weekend class schedules will differ slightly.
See a complete schedule with times for the Fall Course 2017.
Applying yogic principles to everyday life
Find lasting happiness. Remain calm in the face of challenges. Maintain physical and emotional well-being.
The science of yoga is ancient, proven, and universally true. The art of applying these principles to daily life is challenging, endlessly inspiring and the purpose behind our existence.
Apply the ancient principles of “Raja” (royal) yoga to every aspect of your life: physical, mental, emotional and spiritual: Tools for real-life situations, awakening your highest self.
This course is also part of the path of Kriya Yoga, as taught by Paramhansa Yogananda.
Topics from the Text:
- The History of Yoga and the Cycles of Time Explore the origins of yoga.
- The Paths of Yoga Yoga is suited to every different temperament and activity.
- Patanjali’s Ashtanga Yoga The steps of spiritual development that all follow.
- Yama Avoid that which produces unhappiness.
- Niyama Practice those things which produce contentment, success and fulfillment.
- Life is a Battlefield Develop inner peace in the midst of life’s chaos.
- Affirmations Techniques to help you achieve your goals.
- Energy and Energization Energy and joy go hand-in-hand.
- Magnetism This concept is little-understood but a very important key to success
- The Anatomy of Yoga Your deepest nature is immortal and infinite. What is keeping you from realizing this? Learn the ancient techniques that yogis use to break down the barriers keeping them separated from their highest Self.
About the Text:
This timeless and definitive text, The Art and Science of Raja Yoga by Swami Kriyananda, is used as a guide for discussions and is required for all students. Additional texts:
- Autobiography of a Yogi
- Essence of Self-Realization
- Scientific Healing Affirmations
- The New Path
SAVE 20% on all texts: First night of class only.
Discount for returning students: Repeat the course for only $197.