We all want to connect with others who share our ideals and aspirations. At Ananda, we use the word satsang, which means “spiritual company” or “company with truth,” to describe those opportunities to connect with other truth seekers. Every activity and event at Ananda is an opportunity for satsang and therefore, is meaningful and important for our spiritual growth. Even a small encounter can be rich with divine friendship and an upliftment of energy for all. We invite you to connect in any way that inspires you.
Living in a spiritual community is a wonderful way to feel connected to something bigger than yourself. Community is a core principle at Ananda and the establishment of small, intentional spiritual communities was at the heart of Paramhansa Yogananda’s mission in the west. Many activities and events take place at our communities and all are welcome, even if you are not able to move in. calendar
- Ananda Portland has an urban community in Vermont Hills – a 50 unit apartment complex on 5 acres adjacent to a wetlands and easily accessible from the city. more about Ananda Community
- We also have a new rural community in Gaston (20 miles west of Portland) where we have an educational campus, an institute and a conference/retreat center. more about Ananda Center at Laurelwood
- Find out more about each aspect of Ananda Portland, each a unique expression of community and an example of spiritual teachings being lived in daily life.
The Importance of Community. An article on community by Swami Kriyananda
Ananda Center at Laurelwood: a brand new creation. An introductory article by Daiva Glazzard
Suggestions for Newcomers
- Come to activities, events, classes and informal gatherings (satsangs). Each time is an opportunity for getting to know others and feeling more connected. Check our calendar and call (503-626-3403) to ask about what is coming up. Also sign up to receive our newsletter and information about events.
- Come take a class at the temple to get familiar with the teachings and the people of Ananda Portland. The Introduction to Meditation class is a single class lasting a few hours and is a great place to start.
- Sunday Services are inspiring and provide opportunity to mix and chat with people after service.
- If you are not sure about how to get started, make an appointment to talk with one of the ministers and we would be happy to discuss how you can connect with Ananda. Contact us
- Want to know more about Ananda, the teachings of Paramhansa Yogananda and Swami Kriyananda? Come visit our boutique and see the variety of books, CDs, and DVDs available.