Pilgrimage of the Heart
Nayaswamis Daiva and Gangamata, Spiritual Directors of Ananda Portland and Laurelwood, invite you to experience the deep vibrations of spiritual and historical sites of the Virgin Mary and St. Francis (Yogananda called St. Francis his patron saint).
Some highlights of the trip will include visiting:
- Medjugorje, a small mountain village in the region of Bosnia and Herzegovina, where
the Virgin Mary appeared to six children.
- Loreto, site of the Holy House in which the Virgin Mary was born, raised, and where she
received the visitation of the angel announcing that she was to be the mother of Jesus.
The stone house was transported from Nazareth to Croatia and then to Loreto in 1294.
- La Verna, a small monastery in the mountains, in the region of Tuscany, where St.
Francis received the stigmata.
- Siena, where the original residence of Saint Catherine and her Basilica are located.
- Assisi, one of Umbria’s most beautiful and mystical hill towns, home of Saint Francis.
The Basilicas of Saint Francis and Saint Clare, along with San Damiano, grace the city
with their architecture, art, relics and spiritual depth.
- Other locations such as the Basilica of Saint Mary of the Angels where the Porziuncola
is located. The Porziuncola is the first church given to St. Francis and his followers. It
became the center of Saint Francis’s work and was said to be his favorite place.
- Florence, one of the most picturesque cities in the world, best known for its art and
architecture housing works by Michelangelo, Brunelleschi, Donatello and Fra Angelico.
While in Assisi, our “home base,” we will be staying at the Ananda Center located just outside of town. During our time there, we will share meals, meditations and friendship with those living there. We will also have the opportunity to visit and meditate in the home of Swami Kriyananda, where he lived and left his body.
The focus of this journey will be more inward, with time for meditation and prayer, feeling for the presence of Divine Mother and Saint Francis as we travel the beautiful countryside. There will also be time to enjoy the local specialties such as wonderful meals, cappuccinos, and gelato.
This pilgrimage will be led by Nayaswamis Daiva and Gangamata. The intention is to go the last two weeks of September in 2018 with a minimum of 20 pilgrims. If you are interested in joining this trip or have any questions, please contact Nayaswami Gangamata
Deadline for applying: December 31, 2017