Ananda Yoga is spiritual Hatha Yoga, that returns yoga to its original spiritual essence: raising an individual’s level of awareness and aiding spiritual growth, in addition to benefiting the body and mind.
We offer drop-in yoga classes during the week. For more info, click here.
Using this more inward practice, combined with affirmations, you will experience an awakened harmony and well-being for a more joyful life.
Above all, Ananda Yoga helps to raise your level of consciousness by reinforcing the natural effects the yoga postures, harmonizing your body, mind, and soul. You will experience yoga’s original spiritual essence, and its many scientifically proven physical and psychological benefits.
Ananda Yoga includes:
• Asana (yoga postures)
• Pranayama (breathing and energy-control techniques)
• Yogic meditation techniques
• Applied yoga philosophy
Ananda Yoga® posture practice is gentle for beginning students, becoming more challenging with experience. It is inwardly directed – never aggressive or restlessly aerobic.
The primary emphases are:
• Working directly with the body’s subtle energy via the yoga postures
• Using the postures to raise your consciousness
• Being relaxed at all times, even during the midst of effort
• Safety and correct alignment
• Adaptation – modifying each yoga posture to fit the needs and abilities of the practitioner rather than trying to force the practitioner into some “ideal” position
Ananda Yoga is unique in that it focuses on awareness of inner movements of energy and awakening consciousness. Each yoga posture is paired with its own affirmation, which one practices silently while in the posture. The affirmation reinforces the posture’s natural effect, activating the power of the mind in support of one’s practice.
Ananda Yoga is gentle, yet powerful in its healing impact. It’s an invaluable aid for deeper meditation and higher consciousness.
Whatever your age or body type, we can guide you into poses to help you feel relaxed, revitalized, and uplifted.
What is Ananda Yoga? The philosophy behind yoga as a spiritual path by Gyandev McCord, the Co-Director of the Ananda Meditation Teacher Training ®, Director of Ananda Yoga®, Level 2 Ananda Yoga teacher, E-RYT 500 and Raja Yoga Teacher.